Saturday, July 18, 2009

Get away suggestions?

.
I know this audience is limited, but you are all sharp folks....

In a week or two I'll be ready for a few days away. I'm looking for ideas on where to go.

I live near Lancaster in PA, and I was considering Williamsburg, Virginia. I love walking Colonial Williamsburg and have been there a few times. But.... I started thinking about that.......

Maybe someplace totally new to me would be a better idea. If that's the case, then it's someplace I don't know anything about. Thus.... no idea where to go.

Call it... within ten hours drive of Lancaster, with interesting things to see that are NOT centered around shopping and night life. Someplace a guy on his own can wander a bit, take photos, get a decent meal, and stay in a decent place.

Thoughts?

10 comments:

SordidPanda said...

I don't know how much help this will be, but the Smithsonian has always fascinated me.

Mongo said...

I've been to the Smithsonian a few times in my life. Utterly fascinating place, and well worth the trouble it takes to get there.

DC, on the other hand, carries less than zero interest for me. Crowded places, especially crowded full of the kind of people who vote crackheads in as mayor.... I'll pass on that for now.

Thanks for the thought though. It hadn't occurred to me. That's why I asked :-)

Argie said...

Arcadia in Maine. Can't beat the vistas. If you end up in Williamsburg, maybe you can take time to travel the Skyline Drive/Blueridge Parkway (http://www.blueridgeskyline.com/).

lucy said...

What about W VA or even the Smokies? The mountains never disappoint.

Crucis said...

I'm a bit late to this. There is the Air & Space Museum at W-P AFB in Dayton, OH. I would like to walk the battlefield at Gettysburg and those in Manassas, Antitem, and others in northern Virginal.

Mongo said...

Crucis, I know the museum at WP. One heck of a place, and I could easily spend a day or two there.
But... I know it for a reason, and just now it isn't the place for me.

Thanks for suggesting it though. Good idea, just not this time.

Willorith said...

Just across the river from DC is Arlington. walk the grounds there and feel your soul stirred. Also in Arlington is the best music hall in America, The Birchmere Theater. Good food and great music. we drive from Orlando FL to go there.

Jean said...

Get a map. Find a beach town. Beautiful sunrises. Fresh seafood.
Walk the beach, be transfixed by the sound of the waves. Take a camera and a couple of good books and a notebook and pen.
Relax. Do nothing of consequence.
Sample beach drinks with lots of rum ;-)

JK said...

Jim Thorpe in the Pocono's.

EBB-71 said...

Late-comer also, and former lurker on the other blog... I like Gettysburg,from both a photographic and historical standpoint. If you've done that ad nauseaum, or don't want to visit it for "other" reasons, maybe the Finger Lakes in NY - beautiful scenery there, wineries, etc. And shopping if you change your mind. :)